Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Overdue System at the Library

I take care of overdues at the library. Lately I've noticed that many people aren't aware of how the overdue system works, so I thought I'd write a post detailing the system from front to end.

Every Wednesday, I process the overdues. One of the components of the library's ILS (integrated library system) is a report program. On Wednesdays, I use the program and one of its report files to print a report of books that have been overdue 7-90 days, sorted by patron. I compare this list to the previous week's list and note a few things. Any new items are starred, and any previous contact between me and the overdue patrons is noted.

I search the shelves for any new items on the list. Sadly, mistakes do happen (everyone who works here is human, after all), and this search allows me to catch most of them. If I happen to find a book, I check it in and remove the accompanying fine from the patron's account. After my search, I continue with the paperwork portion of overdues.

I produce two different kinds of print notices for patrons. The first is called an overdue notice, and is created when the patron has items that are 14-21 days overdue. It is accompanied by a short letter that outlines the library's overdue policy. The second is called an overdue letter (for items that are 28-35 days overdue), and is the final print correspondence between the library and a patron before the patron is billed. I print out and stuff envelopes to the patrons, then mail them out.

Later in the day (usually after I've finished my supper break), I start calling patrons about their overdues, and make brief notations on my list for what kind of contact was made on a particular date:

-C ("called" -- talked to person listed)
-LM ("left message" -- either with another person in the household or on an answering machine)
-NIS ("not in service" -- phone number gave me a "not in service" message)
-MN ("mailed notice" -- the first written notice)
-ML ("mailed letter" -- the second written notice)

If a patron insists that the item was returned, I search again for the item (on some occasions, it has been returned after I printed the list for the week, but before I started calling).

And the next week the process continues.

The final aspect of the overdue process is billing. Until now it's been done sporadically (I held onto the belief that nobody could have items overdue for three months until just recently), but now that I've started, it will be done every week for items that are 91-97 days overdue.

When items are three months overdue, I search for the items again. If I find an overdue item, I check it in, and adjust the patron's fines. If I cannot find the patron's items, I suspend the patron's account and bill the patron as follows:
  • the replacement cost of the item
  • the full amount of fines accumulated to date on that item
  • a five dollar processing fee for each item(to cover the time and materials required to process a replacement copy)
If the patron can find the missing items, the processing fee and replacement costs will be removed, just leaving the original overdue fine.

Overdue Schedule Summary
0-7 days: nothing
7-14 days: phone call
14-21 days: mailed notice, phone call
21-28 days: phone call
28-35 days: mailed letter, phone call
90+ days: suspension, bill

That's the unpleasant side of things. Here's the more pleasant side.

First, the library allows patrons to renew items. As long as the item doesn't have any holds or reserves on it, we're happy to renew items up to two times by phone or e-mail, even if the item is already overdue (though the fines up to that point will remain). After those two renewals, we require patrons to bring the item into the library for subsequent renewals. This is to prevent patrons from renewing a lost item over and over again instead of telling us it has been lost.

Renewals on Interlibrary loan items (ILLs) are a little trickier because I have to contact the lending library. But if a patron requests a renewal before the item is due, I'm more than happy to do it.

Second, all the money collected from overdue fines goes into the library's budget, which allows us to spend more money on new books and other materials for the library.

Third, I'm not a mean person. I don't enjoy calling people about their overdues, but I'm never rude or angry on the phone. So don't worry if you answer the phone and I'm calling about overdues. I won't start yelling unless you do first.

No comments:

Post a Comment