Friday, November 13, 2009

Sporadic Greatness

What's been going on at the library lately?

The short answer is "Nothing worth a full-blown blog post."

The real answer is much lengthier and more complicated. Since none of these topics is worth a full blog post, I'll write a little bit about everything.


New Graphic Novels
The library has received three new graphic novels in the last two weeks.

Last week we received Lost at Sea (by Bryan Lee O'Malley, also author of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels). I originally ordered Lost at Sea in May, and had basically given up hope by the time it came in. I previously read Lost at Sea via ILL and I recommend it. It's a little odd at times (the main character believes a cat stole her soul), but very entertaining nonetheless.

On Tuesday, we received the first two volumes of Amelia Rules! (by Jimmy Gownley). Ever since I borrowed the first volume through an ILL, Sharon and I have been chomping at the bit to get Amelia Rules! for the library. In fact, I enjoyed Amelia Rules! so much that I dressed as Captain Amazing for Halloween (photos available here)


New CAP Youth Intern
The library hired a new CAP Youth Intern last week. Melissa will be available to help patrons with their computers and to train patrons on various computer skills (using Office software, searching the Internet, using Library2Go to download audiobooks, etc.) If you'd like to make an appointment for some training/assistance, you can call the library at 250-242-4778 or e-mail Melissa directly: mstclaire@tumblerridgelibrary.org


My Illness
My ironman streak ended last Tuesday. I went home sick part way through the day, breaking a streak that started when I began working at the library last August. For the record, it was not H1N1 -- just an industrial strength cold.


10000 Villages
The library will be hosting the 10000 Villages craft fair from Wednesday, Nov. 18 to Sunday, Nov. 22. Fair trade items from countries around the world will be available, and we encourage everyone to come take a look.


So those are a few of the things that have been keeping us busy at the library lately. I'm hoping that I can start updating this blog more frequently, but it really depends on how much inspiration is available. ...or if inspiration is unavailable, it'll depend on how much access I have to the desks of my co-workers so I can describe their workspaces in detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment