Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chris Walker is coming -- mark your calendars!

As many of you probably know, CBC personality Chris Walker was interested in doing an Itchy Feet presentation at the library.  Some of you have also probably heard that I nixed the idea.  It's partly true.

On my first day as interim head librarian, I was asked about scheduling an Itchy Feet presentation for him this season.  At that point, I was completely overwhelmed, desperately did not want to take on any extra obligations for myself or the library, and it never occurred to me just how many people would be disappointed (WNMS members, library patrons, other members of the community, and even Chris Walker himself).  So I had a staff member send him our regrets by e-mail.

Later that day, a member of WNMS called me, and very kindly connected the dots for me.  She expressed how disappointed everyone would be if Chris didn't get to make an Itchy Feet presentation, and showed an amazing willingness to help if logistics were a problem.  In response, I had the same staff member e-mail Chris back and re-open the conversation.

Since then, I've heard from many different members of the community, and it's been unanimous.  Everyone wants to see Chris Walker's presentation.  There are people who I'd never expect to see excited who are absolutely thrilled he's coming.  In short, there was no way we could turn him down.  So we've been in touch with Chris, and agreed on a date for his presentation.


Mark your calendars!

"Building Blocks:  Architecture and Religion in the Middle East"
with Chris Walker
Friday, May 7th

No comments:

Post a Comment