Saturday, December 11, 2010

That's it for 2010...

Before you start protesting, I know we're still officially three weeks away from 2011.  Ideally I would've waited until the last week of 2010 to write this post, but that week will be extremely busy.  Sharon will be away, we'll be knee-deep in inventory preparations, and I'm sure we'll have a horde of patrons coming in to use our wireless access to try out the gadgets they received for Christmas.  As a result, I'm wrapping up 2010 today.

So what major things happened around the library in 2010?
  1. Changes in command -- we had three different people heading the library in 2010, a record that will hopefully not be surpassed.
  2. Rearranging -- this time last year, we still had a reference U at the front of the library and a closed off mess of an archives area.
  3. Fundraising -- Sharon raised a record amount of money for the Summer Reading Club, and we've branched out into other fundraising efforts such as our White Elephant Sale in June and our cakewalks the last two months.
  4. Whiteboard -- the rec centre staff kindly hung the library's unused whiteboard, and I'm having tons of fun drawing random stuff on it and naming a new phobia-of-the-week every Friday.
2011 will be a fantastic year for the Tumbler Ridge Public Library, and will be better than 2010.  Why, you ask?
  1. We will have a fantastic, knowledgeable head librarian who will be in place all year.  I did my best from March to November, and I don't think I did a bad job by any stretch of the imagination.  However, it'll be good for the library (and me!) to have an experienced hand at the helm.  Paula has only been here a month, and it's already weird thinking back to before she came.
  2. We'll be completing inventory *much* faster in 2011 because we know what we're doing this time around, and we've fixed a number of issues that slowed down the inventory process in 2010.
  3. More rearranging is on the horizon.  Paula, Sharon, and I have talked about the library and its setup, and Paula has noted quite a few odd things that we've never paid attention to.  For instance, how many people have ever noticed that almost all of the library's shelves run perpendicular to the banks of lights?

In short folks, 2011 should be a good year for the Tumbler Ridge Public Library, and we're all anxious to get started ... once the holidays are over.

On that note, I'm signing off of this blog for 2010.  I'll see you in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment